Senior Infrastructure Engineer
The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, based in Menlo Park, California, is seeking a Senior Infrastructure Engineer to join the Information Technology department. The position reports to the Chief Information Officer.
About the Foundation:
The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation is a nonpartisan, private charitable foundation that advances ideas and supports institutions to promote a better world. For 50 years, the foundation has supported efforts to advance education for all, preserve the environment, improve lives and livelihoods in developing countries, promote the health and economic well-being of women, support vibrant performing arts, strengthen Bay Area communities and make the philanthropy sector more effective.
About the Department:
The IT department gets consistently high ratings from foundation employees and is known within the philanthropy sector as a source of best practices. The department consists of a five-person application development and support team, a four-person operations team, and the CIO. The operations team comprises two senior IT support specialists and two engineers. The support specialists handle help desk tickets, desktop builds, desktop patching, mobile device management, procurement, inventory, and A/V support. The engineers manage the foundation’s networks, servers, and data centers. The operations team owns everything from enterprise IT infrastructure planning to troubleshooting and routine maintenance.
About the Position:
The Senior Infrastructure Engineer will provide technical leadership in planning, designing, and operating the foundation’s Microsoft infrastructure and cloud services in a hybrid production environment. We are looking for a deeply technical Windows systems engineer with a broad understanding of everything that goes into building and maintaining a world class enterprise IT infrastructure. Extensive experience building and maintaining VMware environments is essential for this position. In addition to being lead on Microsoft technologies, the engineer will cross train and provide secondary support on the foundation’s networks, A/V systems, and phone systems. This is a unique opportunity to participate in all aspects of IT Infrastructure and to operate with a high degree of autonomy.
An in-depth knowledge of security best practices is key for this role. The incumbent will need to maintain a security mindset and continually adjust base Windows images and production servers to address new vulnerabilities and to keep all software and services current. They will collaborate with the Network Engineer to prioritize security projects and monitor the overall health and security of the network.
Finally, we are seeking a candidate with excellent communication and collaboration skills. The foundation has a strong culture rooted in empowerment, collaboration, and mutual respect. It will be the incumbent’s responsibility to learn the foundation’s culture – and work within it – to achieve sustainable, long-term results.
The Senior Infrastructure Engineer will be responsible for the administration, installation, implementation, maintenance and support of the foundation’s server infrastructure. This includes, but is not limited to: Microsoft Active Directory, Exchange, VMWare, HP Blade Servers, and HP 3PAR SANs.
Key responsibilities include:
- Develop plans and manage projects for infrastructure refresh and migration of key services such as email, backups, and disaster recovery to the cloud.
- Support and maintain approximately 140 servers and associated applications including the virtual environment, data replication, data backup, and storage.
- Perform application upgrades, operating system upgrades and patch management while maintaining service levels.
- Support network applications and services including DNS, DHCP, active directory, and group policy.
- Configure and deploy virtual servers and associated SAN and LUN provisioning based on a solid understanding of the VMware ESXi environment.
- Work with external vendors, evaluating their offerings and finding the right solutions for improving IT infrastructure. Manage associated vendor relationships, licensing, support, and maintenance contracts.
- Co-manage network health and security; review alerts and reports; conduct vulnerability scans, coordinate external security audits and reviews.
- Produce and maintain infrastructure documentation.
- Patch and troubleshoot a wide range of systems on a day-to-day basis.
- Provide help desk support for escalated issues.
- Anticipate and proactively handle issues before they turn into problems.
- Share information with peers and escalate issues to the CIO when appropriate.
Technical Knowledge and Skills Required at an Advanced Level:
- Windows Server (Server 2008 / 2012 / 2016)
- Windows Server Applications (IIS, SharePoint, Exchange)
- Network Services (DNS, DHCP, AD, FTP, SMTP, LDAP, Group Policy)
- Windows Client (Windows 7/8/10)
- Virtualization (VMware ESXi 5.5 & 6/vSphere)
- Storage Infrastructure (SAN, LUN, Provisioning, Fiber, Capacity Planning)
- Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Visio, Project)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Additional Skills and Experience Desired:
- Network Infrastructure: Cisco (Switches, Routers, Firewalls, LAN/WAN, MPLS, VPN, Fiber, VOIP, VLAN, DMZ)
- Office 365: Azure Active Directory, Exchange Hybrid cloud deployment, and SharePoint Online administration
- Experience with SSO & MFA
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- 10-plus years of overall IT experience
- Five-plus years of experience managing enterprise IT infrastructure projects
- Certifications: CCNA, Microsoft (MCSE, MCSA), and VMWare (VCAx-DCV, VCPx-DCV)
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and make collaborative decisions with peers to expedite resolution of problems.
- Proactively identifies problems that need attention, takes initiative to resolve them, and identifies root cause.
- Orientation toward continuous improvement with the goal of never seeing the same problem twice.
- Comfortable with strict guidelines such as change management, password security, and department policies/procedures. Ability to inspire trust, lead project teams, and to motivate team members to work well together.
- Strong time management, prioritization, problem solving, and analytical skills in a multi-tasking environment.
- Commitment to communicate, document, and teach others.
- Unquestionable ethics and personal integrity.
- Comfortable serving in a philanthropic enterprise and acting in accordance with the values of the foundation.
- Willingness to work outside of normal business hours as needed to complete disruptive maintenance and upgrades.
- Strong customer service skills and empathy for the end-user experience for both customers and team members.
Compensation includes a competitive base salary and an excellent employee benefits package. The position is based in Menlo Park, California. Telecommuting for this position is not an option.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to spend extended periods of time on the computer. The employee needs to be able to lift at least 60 pounds and will occasionally be required to crawl under desks, climb ladders, or move furniture.
Send a resume and cover letter with “Sr. Infrastructure Engineer” as the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.