Senior Associate Accountant
The Finance department supports the foundation’s grantmaking goals by managing financial activities that include budget planning, forecasting, financial reporting, cash disbursements, audit, expense management, investment accounting, and tax. The Finance team maintains a system of internal controls to ensure that financial operations are well managed and comply with GAAP and IRS reporting requirements. They perform relevant analysis and financial reporting to inform management decisions.
About the Position
The Senior Associate Accountant oversees the employee expense report review and employee/retiree matching gift processes. This includes supporting the preparation and review of expense reports and monitoring the foundation’s credit card program. This position participates in foundation financial reporting through vendor card maintenance, reconciling general ledger accounts, and performing financial analysis.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Processes employee expense reports.
- Manages the employee expense report workflow, provides guidance, identifies issues, finds appropriate solutions, and creates process and workflow documentation of the expense reporting system.
- Performs monthly analysis and forecast of travel expenses.
- Serves as the first point of contact for the foundation’s credit card program, reconciles credit card usage between the service provider and MyExpenses, tracks usage, processes credit limit changes and card cancellations, and submits and assists employees with corporate card disputes/fraudulent activity.
- Monitors the employee and retiree matching gifts program and relationship with the service provider.
- Oversees the vendor master file maintenance, including vendor creation, and coordinates the annual vendor card review project.
- Initiates ACH and wire transfer disbursements.
- Reconciles general ledger and sub-ledger accounts of various levels of complexity.
- Assists in budgeting, forecasting, and audit activities.
- Remains current on relevant systems and accounting/tax standards.
- Learns and performs other accounting responsibilities as needed, including back-up responsibilities during transitions and vacations.
- Maintains clear and accurate documentation of monthly accounting activities as well as documentation of process controls and procedures.
- Initiates and implements continuous process/reporting improvements and contributes to the assessment of internal controls.
- Trains new employees in the travel expense policy and use of MyExpenses.
- Trains new employees on “new vendor” process in the Kwiktag system.
- Provides technical and administrative support for expense reimbursement and matching gifts system.
- Provides financial support to assigned foundation managers.
- Collaborates with the IT department to implement or enhance computer systems and applications.
Required Skills and Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, preferred
- Three years of accounting experience, with a strong knowledge of accounting theory
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Great Plains or other accounting systems
- Accounting capabilities, including account reconciliations and journal entries
- Positive attitude and excellent customer service orientation
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, with the ability to both set and manage expectations
- Attention to detail, accuracy, dependability, and reliability
- Demonstrates initiative, organization and time management
- Analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including comfort in dealing with all levels of the organization and a demonstrated ability to work in a team to accomplish the goals of the department and the foundation
Physical Demands/Work Environment
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to spend extended periods of time at the computer.
The work environment characteristics described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
How to Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter to Human Resources explaining how your skills fit this position:
Email: email@example.com (Subject Line: [Your Name] – Senior Associate Accountant)
Fax: 650. 234.1985
The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation is an equal employment opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse pool of candidates in this search.